brooklyn-based alexa runs the online home goods store and blog called lille hus, which focus on her love of all things danish. occasionaly she posts about some shops she loves in copenhagen - go to her blog under copenhagen for pictures! i'll have to make sure i check these out someday:
- mayol - blågårdsgade 5, st. tv., 200 københavn n, tel:+35360139 (housewares)
- det mondaene skur - gammel kongevej 82, 1850 frederiksberg C, tel:+33261012 (housewares)
grønlykke - læderstræde 3 og 5, 1201 københavn k, tel:+4533130081 (housewares)
- créme de la créme a la edgar - kompagnistræde 8, kld., 1208 københavn k, tel:+33361817; at the corner of kompagnistræde and læderstræde (mostly kids clothing, with some adult thrown in for good measure)
- stilleben - læderstræde 14, dk-1203 københavn k, tel:+33911131 (ceramics and housewares)
- R.O.O.M. - nørregade 12, tel.+4533414400 (housewares)
- cykelmageren -store kongensgade 57B, 1264 københavn k, tel: 33111211 (very cool bikes, evidently they ship to the US, too!)
check out www.krak.dk for directions and maps - it's in danish, but if you just put the name of the place you want to find in the first search box, "hvad", on the home page, krak will give you the address. then you can click "se resultater på kort", on the right side, and it will give you a map. a map is a map in any language!
in the meantime, i'll have to settle for the online inspiration - lille hus is great (check out alexa's story here), but i also love alex beauchamp's hygge house - she offers a great explanation of the intangible appeal of hygge (more info here), and a lovely blog that explores a personal view of applying that danish concept to an american life. so stop and smell the flowers already, okay?
(above photo - http://d-nice.com)